Classroom Kindness Challenge – Doughnut Be a Bully
A Little Kindness Goes a Long Way
Sam C. Mitchell & Associates has teamed up with WSIL-TV 3 along with Kyle R. Childers Orthodontics to bring a positive program to area schools. This challenge was designed to encourage students to be kind to others and to bring awareness to bullying in our schools. Bullying is still a problem in schools and needs to be stopped. If you are a teacher and located in WSIL-TV 3 viewing area, you have a chance to make a difference in your classroom.
What is Bullying?
Bullying is unwanted, aggressive behavior among school aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential to be repeated, over time. Both kids who are bullied and who bully others may have serious, lasting problems.
Types of Bullying
- Verbal Bullying
- Teasing, Name-calling, taunting, etc.
- Social Bullying
- Leaving someone out, telling other children not to be friends with someone, spreading rumors about someone, etc
- Physical Bullying
- Hitting/kicking/pinching, spitting, tripping, taking or breaking someone’s things, etc.
- 28% of U.S. students in grades 6-12 experienced bullying
- Approximately 30% of young people admit to bullying others in surveys
- 70.6% of young people say they have seen bullying in their schools
- 70.4% of school staff have seen bullying
- When bystanders intervene, bullying stops within 10 seconds 57% of the time.
For more resources about bullying, please go to www.stopbullying.gov.
Classroom Kindness Challenge – Starting September 18th!
Who Can Participate?
- Teachers & their Students
- Kindergarten – 8th Grade Only
- W-SIL TV 3 Viewing Schools Only
- Those in Illinois include: Franklin, Alexander, Gallatin, Hamilton, Hardin, Jefferson, Johnson, Marion, Massac, Perry, Pope, Pulaski, Randolph, Saline, Union, Wayne, White, and Williamson
What is the Classroom Kindness Challenge?
As a class, you will complete the Classroom Kindness Challenge Board which would include tasks such as giving a classmate a compliment, pushing in someone’s chair, or as simple as saying hello to someone new. You can print out the challenge board here. Once completed, you then upload a photo of you/you and your students holding up the completed challenged board by visiting wsiltv.com/contests or by clicking here. You must upload your photo by Thursday, Nov. 16th.
What Can You Win?
Throughout the challenge, teachers who complete the challenge are entered to win a “Doughnut be a Bully” party for their classroom which includes 3 dozen doughnuts from Krispy Kreme + drawstring tote bags with goodies inside. At the end, 3 teachers will also be awarded $500 to put towards their classrooms.
Program brought to you by: Sam C. Mitchell & Associates, Childer’s Orthodontics, & W-SIL TV 3